Here lives a list of open access journals, resources, and repositories in economics. There are a lot of gray areas in the question of open access—submission or acceptance fees in particular. I’ll be as clear as possible here, but use at your own risk!
I’m definitely not interested in for-profit journals that charge exorbitant amounts to authors to make their work freely available. Please let me know if you have a suggestion to add to the list! There’s a form to submit suggestions at the bottom of the page.
- Theoretical Economics (requires membership of Econometric Society to submit)
- Review of Economic Analysis (general interest, no fees)
- Economics Bulletin (general interest, shorter papers)
- IZA Journal of Labor Economics (Springer, no submission fee)
- Economics (general interest, no fees, idiosyncratic publication process)
- Journal of Economics Teaching (teaching at all levels, $50 submission fee)
- OpenStax (Principles of Microeconomics, Principles of Macroeconomics)
- The Economy (CORE Econ, Principles level, interactive ebook)
- Books by Ariel Rubinstein (registration required, books including game theory, bargaining, microeconomic theory)
- Introduction to Economic Analysis (mathematical intro to microeconomics, currently in version 2.1, by R. Preston McAfee, Tracy Lewis, and Donald Dale)
- The Economics Network (big list of freely available texts for teaching and learning, variety of topics and levels)
- Corporate Finance (Ivo Welch, free to read online)
Here is another directory of open access texts in economics (and other fields!)